Benefit fraud

We aim to maximise the take up of Housing and Council Tax support to those people who genuinely need and qualify for the benefit. We are here to help and guide claimants and encourage people to apply.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) aim to detect fraudulent claims and protect public money from those who are intent on defrauding the benefit system.

Some examples of benefit fraud are:

  • failing to declare changes of circumstances eg resident partner,
  • savings (capital) or
  • owning another property

If a claimant has knowingly misled the authority to obtain benefit then it will be cancelled back to the beginning of the incorrect claim (which could be over a long period of time).

  • an overpayment sum will be created of all benefits wrongly paid in respect of that claim. This overpayment must be repaid to the authority (reduced by any underlying entitlement)

The DWP may decide to prosecute under the Theft Act or Social Security Act.


Possibly add a penalty onto the overpayment which already exists or sometimes issue a caution.

You can report a suspected benefit fraud to the Department of Work and Pensions Single Fraud Investiagation Unit online or by calling 0800 854440.