The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Annual Voter Registration - Household Enquiry Form

This year we are emailing households, where we hold an email address, to update their details. We are trialling this new initiative to hopefully make it easier for people to register and help reduce costs. If we do not receive a response to the email by 9 August a paper form will be sent. This Household Enquiry form enables residents to confirm or update their household details. There is a legal obligation for electors to complete this form and failure to do so can result in a fine of up to £1000.

When you receive the form please check the pre-printed information and you can respond as detailed below. We would prefer response by electronic means as this is faster and more cost effective. 

No changes to make

If there are no changes to make to the pre-printed details there are three ways of confirming your information:

  • by the web on our free internet registration at
  • by phone on our free automated telephone response service on 0808 284 1428,
  • by SMS text service but you will be charged at the standard network rates on 07786 209428

You will need to have your form to hand as it has your unique security codes. Please follow the instructions when prompted by your chosen method.

Changes to make

If the details on the pre-printed form are incorrect amend them by crossing out the name(s) of the people who are no longer resident and adding the name(s) of any new eligible residents. Please make sure you sign and date the form before returning it to us.

Alternatively, updates can be made easily on Please read the instructions carefully responding in this way will save the Council money.

Not received a form?

Not everyone will receive a form so please contact Electoral Services if you think you should receive one.

Recently registered?

If you have already made a new application to be added to the Electoral Register before 1 July 2020 your details will already be pre-printed you will still need to respond to this form to confirm the details are correct.

When should I respond?

The simple answer is now, unless you are moving house in which case you should leave the form for the new residents to complete. Reminders will be posted out to all properties who have not replied. This is of course an additional expense so please help us to keep printing and postage costs to a minimum by replying immediately.

The form is not addressed to me

We address the paperwork to "The Occupier" to ensure it gets to the people actually living at the property. All forms contain the pre-printed details of the electors who are currently listed at that address. It may be that we have not been informed of any change in residency. Check the address on the form to ensure it has been delivered correctly and amend as appropriate.

Providing your nationality

Please state your nationality on the form, without it we can not process the information. If your nationality has changed from the pre-printed form, please enclose a photocopy of your passport or certificate of naturalisation along with the amended form.

Moving house

If you are moving soon you should delete your name(s) from the form and leave it for the new residents to complete. If you are unsure of anything then please contact the office so that we can discuss your circumstances.

No one eligible to register?

If no-one eligible to be registered at your address please ensure you complete the relevant section to indicate why. Without it we can not process the information and the form will be returned to you. If you are unsure as to whether you qualify to register please look at our section on who can vote or contact Electoral Services.

Over 76 years old?

If you are over 76, please indicate this in the relevant section of the form. Anyone over 76 is no longer eligible to perform Jury Service and we have to supply this information to the Jury Summoning Service.

16 or 17 year olds?

We require the dates of birth for 16 and 17 year olds, anyone under that age is not eligible to register so their details must not be completed on the form. If you are over 18 you do not need to include your date of birth.

Don't want your details to be sold on to a third party?

Make sure indicate your option in the open register column on the form. We must make the open register available for general sale and it can be used for any purpose including marketing. Everyone will be included in the full register, which is used for voting purposes and supplied to the Credit Reference Agencies. If you want to opt back into the open register (so that marketing companies and other 3rd parties can buy your details) then please indicate this on the form.

Postal vote application forms

If you would like to vote by post you will need to complete a postal vote application form. If there is a pre-printed yes in this column, this means you already have postal vote arrangements in place and therefore do not need to complete another form. If you wish to cancel the postal vote arrangements, cross out the pre-printed tick before signing and returning the form.

Proxy vote application forms

If you would like to vote by proxy please contact the Electoral Services Office or write the words 'proxy' in the postal vote section of the form.and we will send you an application form. You need to have a specific reason to vote by proxy, such as a disability or being away at university so please let us know which type of form you require otherwise we will not be able to send it to you.

Service voters (Army, navy, etc)

Services Electors (Army, Navy, etc) must not be included on the form. If you are in the Armed Forces, please contact Electoral Services to find out how to register.

Overseas electors

Overseas Electors must not be included in the form. If someone is living overseas permanently, please contact Electoral Services to find out how to register.

Student information

Students away at university are able to register at their parents' home and at their term time address. However, they may only vote once in the same election.


If someone is staying with you on holiday who are short term guests they should not be included.

When will the updates take effect?

The updates will take effect from 1 December 2020.

For further information please contact Electoral Services.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page
Electoral Services
Electoral Services
Job Title
Electoral Services
01784 444218
Full details for Electoral Services