If you want to sell alcohol, provide entertainment or sell hot food or drinks after 11pm on unlicensed premises, you need a temporary event notice.

Temporary Event Notice online form

A temporary event notice (TEN) allows you to carry out activities that would normally need a licence and is intended for small scale, occasional events.

Temporary event notices (TENs) can also be used by existing licence holders that want to carry out licensable activities not already included on their premises licence.

  • you must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a TEN
  • there must be no more than 499 people at your event at any one time (including staff)
  • your event must last less than 168 hours (7 days)
  • you need a TEN for each separate event that you hold, even if it's on the same premises
  • there must be at least 24 hours between separate TENs from the same applicant for the same premises
  • there is a £21 fee to pay for each TEN

There are two types of TEN - a 'standard TEN' and a 'late TEN'

Standard TEN - this is where your notice has been received at least ten clear working days before the date of the event.

Late TEN - this is where your notice is received between five and nine clear working days before your event. You cannot apply for a late TEN less than five clear working days before your event is due to take place. 

Please note that clear working days do not include the day the notice is served or the day of the event itself. This is defined in the legislation and no discretion can be applied.

Number of TENs you can apply for

  • if you don't hold a personal licence you can get up to five TENs per year, two of these can be late TENs
  • if you already hold a personal licence you can get up to 50 TENs per year, 10 of these can be late TENs
  • the premises can have up to 15 TENs per year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days

How to apply

It's a good idea to get your application in early, so there will be plenty of time to sort out any problems that might come up.

You can apply online and pay the £21 fee by credit or debit card.

When you apply online copies of your notice will be sent to Surrey Police and the Environmental Health team for you.

Serving notices by post

Icon for worddocuments Download the form [109.36KB], complete and return to the Licensing Team, Spelthorne Borough Council, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 1XB with a cheque for £21 payable to Spelthorne Borough Council.

For postal applications you must send a copy of the form to: Licensing Spelthorne Neighbourhood Team PO Box 101 Guildford GU1 9PE and to the Environmental Health Department at Spelthorne Borough Council, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 1XB

Does tacit consent apply?

No. This means you cannot hold a temporary event until you receive the acknowledgement from us.


A TEN cannot be refused unless the Police or the council's Environmental Health Team objects to it. They must do this within three working days of it being received. They can only object if they think your event could adversely affect any of the licensing objectives which are:

  • prevention crime and disorder
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • public safety
  • protection of children from harm

If there is an objection and the matter cannot be resolved informally, the council's Licensing Committee will hold a meeting (known as a hearing) no later than 24 hours before the event. Following the hearing, a decision will be made whether to allow the TEN to go ahead, to allow it subject to conditions, or to issue a counter notice preventing licensable activities from taking place.

If the Police or the council's Environmental Health Team object to a Late TEN, then the notice won't be valid and you won't be able to hold your event.


A TEN may be withdrawn by the premises user by giving the licensing authority (in this case the council) a notice to that effect no later than 24 hours before the beginning of the event specified in the TEN.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen