The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Vehicle access and dropped kerbs

This is when a kerb is dropped from its normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to allow you to access your property safely with a vehicle. Anyone wishing to construct a dropped kerb must obtain prior agreement from Surrey County Council (SCC) for this work affecting the highway and use one of their approved contractors. Full details on making an application are available on Surrey County Council's website.

Do I need planning permission?

There are certain circumstances when planning permission is required for the creation of a new vehicular access, irrespective of whether or not the kerb needs to be dropped:

  • the access you wish to create is onto/from an A, B or C classified road (you may need to check this information with Surrey County Council Highway Authority on 0345 600 9009 or our Customer Services)
  • the property involved is a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises
  • there is a planning condition restricting the creation of a vehicular access

If any of the above are relevant you will need to apply to Spelthorne Borough Council for planning permission by submitting a a householder planning application form (No 1 on 1App form) for a householder or a planning application form for a commercial property before getting SCC's approval for the construction work.

If the road is a D classification, and none of the above criteria apply, then you will not need planning permission. However, in order to obtain SCC's agreement for a dropped kerb you will have to get written confirmation from our Planning Department stating that planning permission is not required. This confirmation has to be submitted with your application to SCC.  Please complete a 'planning enquiry form' and submit it with the relevant fee which can be found on our pre-application advice page.  Cheques should be made payable to 'Spelthorne Borough Council' and sent to the Planning Department, Spelthorne Borough Council, Knowle Green, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 1XB.  Payment can also be made by credit/debit card online or by contacting Customer Services on 01784 451499.

Where a new vehicular access is being created for a Listed Building and alterations to an existing gate, wall, fence or railings are necessary, Listed Building Consent may be required. In these circumstances please contact us for further advice.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page