Tackling single-use plastics in Spelthorne
Spelthorne Council has committed to reducing the use of single-use plastics and is working towards zero use across its own operations and services. We have developed an action plan and policy for Spelthorne which sits alongside a wider Surrey strategy that we fully support.
We have committed to:
- reducing single-use plastic products and encouraging higher recycling rates across our estates
- ensuring that our procurement policy and procedures require all of our suppliers to minimise and work towards zero avoidable single-use plastics
- raising greater awareness and action from our suppliers and contractors in finding sustainable single-use plastic replacements
- supporting staff, businesses, schools, communities and authorities in promoting and sharing best practice to make their own estates and those across Spelthorne single-use plastic free zones
Single-use or disposable plastic items are designed to be used only once. Examples include cups, lids, coffee capsules, stirrers, utensils and baby/cleaning wipes.
Simple changes can help reduce the amount of single-use plastics in Spelthorne:
- remember to take shopping bags with you to avoid buying plastic ones
- take a reusable cup to the coffee shop, you might get a discount if you use one
- carry a refillable water bottle rather than using disposable plastic cups and bottles
- make your own lunch at home and take it with you in a reusable tub
- refuse plastic straws and cutlery
- avoid using wet wipes