This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Reportable accidents - RIDDOR

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.  It is a legal requirement to report accidents and ill health at work. The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents.

You must report all of the following, if they result from a work related activity:

  • the death of any person;
  • specified injuries such as fractures, amputations and serious burns;
  • an over-seven-day injury (that is when an employee or self-employed person has an accident at work and is unable to work or is unable to perform their normal visit duties for over seven days, but does not have a major injury);
  • occupational disease such as carpal tunnel syndrome and occupational dermatitis;
  • a dangerous occurrence (this is when something happens that does not result in a reportable injury, but which clearly could have done), and
  • injury to a member of the public that results in them being taken to hospital for medical treatment

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is in place for reporting fatal and specified injuries only - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).

More information on accident reporting can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website.

RIDDOR and the General Data Protection Regulations 2018

As a notifier you are acting as the responsible person under RIDDOR legislation and you are under a legal obligation to make the notification. You have a lawful basis for processing the personal data of the injured person. Local Authorities and the HSE process this data as part of their public task. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page
Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety
Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety
01784 446291
Full details for Commercial Team - areas cover food and health and safety