If you are planning to carry out demolition work you may need to let us know before you start.

Please complete the Demolition Information Sheet

The Building Act 1984 requires that the Council is advised in writing of any intended demolition. This applies to any demolition of the whole or part of a building. You can obtain advice on demolition work by contacting Building Control.

Building Control needs to be notified if the demolition is more than 50m3 in volume. The application must be made at least six weeks before the work is due to start. It is an offence for a person to start demolition works without giving six weeks notice prior to commencement and should a person commence demolition they are liable to prosecution.

No demolition work should start unless the Council has given a notice under Section 81 or six weeks has elapsed since notification was given to to the Council that you intend to commence a demolition operation. This period is required to allow time for the Council to consult other interested parties.

Written notice to the Council must specify the building, details of the works of demolition and the person undertaking the work. Also that:

  • the occupiers of adjacent buildings have been informed, and compliance with the Party Wall Act has been achieved
  • the gas supply for the building has been terminated
  • the electricity supply for the building has been terminated
  • the water supply for the building has been terminated
  • drainage from the building/site will be sealed
  • how the site will be secured following completion

The only exemptions for serving a demolition notice are for buildings not requiring Listed Building Consent as follows:

  • the demolition of an internal part of a building if the building continues to be occupied
  • buildings having an external size of less than 50m3 (this volume is less than the size of an average double garage)
  • extensions on a larger building that consists of a domestic greenhouse, conservatory, shed or pre-fabricated garage

If you are planning to burn material on the site the Fire Service and Health and Safety Executive must be informed.