This website uses cookies that are necessary for basic site functionality, and for additional purposes. We will not place additional cookies on your computer without your consent.

Cookies and privacy

We use cookies for basic functionality such as authentication and session identification.

We would like to use cookies to improve your experience by collecting information on how you use our site. Information collected is anonymous.

The Council Offices remain closed to the public. We are continuing to deliver services to the community. Contact us here

Claiming Housing Benefit

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit is help for anyone on a low income who pays rent.  

Do I qualify for Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is available if:

  • you pay rent
  • your income, savings and investments are below a certain amount
  • not in receipt of Universal Credit

Usually, you are not eligible for Housing Benefit if you:

  • have savings of over £16,000
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you are a full-time student (unless you're disabled or have children)

Try our benefits calculator to see what help you can get.

What proof do I need

You will need to provide the original documents to prove your identity. We accept:

  • earned income (five weekly, or two monthly, most recent consecutive payslips)
  • your self employed accounts (certified accounts or your own accounts or books) (special forms are sent for completion)
  • private, occupational pension (latest pension slip or other proof of amount received)
  • government pension (latest notification)
  • other Government benefits or pensions (latest notification)
  • Income Support (latest notification)
  • any other income (latest notification)
  • savings/capital, two months bank statements, share/savings certificates, building society books
  • tenancy agreement/rent liability (private and housing association tenants only). (Latest agreement/notification form)
  • rent payments (private and housing association tenants only). (Latest statements, receipts or rent book)
  • other adults' income before deductions

When will my Housing Benefit be paid?

Monday is the official day for Housing Benefit payments, however, your bank may pay the money into your account on a Friday.

Housing Benefit may be paid either to you or to your landlord direct. We will make your payment by BACS into the agreed bank account.

Housing Benefit payments are scheduled to be paid fortnightly in arrears if payments are being sent to the tenant or four weekly in arrears if going to the landlord.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page